Thursday 15 February 2018

A Goal Without a Plan is Only a Dream


It’s taken me all of January to put pen to paper, or is that fingers to keyboard, but here I am typing away. January 2018 seemed to be filled with less ‘new year new me’ and more ‘new year, new goals’. Everyone is keen to set a fresh set of objectives for themselves with the aim at improving their current lifestyle. I have seen many a blog or Instagram post where people are setting out their intentions for 2018. Now, I am all for aiming high with your new year’s resolutions and while I did succeed on one of my 2017 resolutions (more to come on that) I do believe that having a goal without a plan is only having a dream.



So 2018, for me, will not start with elaborate goal setting, but instead will begin with creating action plans. I, like most people, have a number of long term goals which always seem to exceed me.  No matter how much I want certain things I never seem to get much closer to attaining them. With some careful thought, also known as a lot of trial and error with emphasis on the errors, I have decided to break down my objectives into smaller more attainable tasks. I started by brainstorming my ambitions, and deciding which ones a) I want most, b) take many years of work and need to be started now, and c) are realistic. I chose just a few, I am not Wonder Woman, and wrote lists of the necessary tasks required to reach my goals. For example if you want to win awards for blogging you would need to actually start a blog; create a name, design and build a website or WordPress, create some content, etc. 





After breaking down each goal into smaller tasks I went on to order these task chronologically. This mapping of tasks has led to the creation of a 2018 plan of action which should, fingers and toes crossed, edge me towards attaining my end goals. Give it a go and let me know what you think.


No comments:

Post a Comment